Reflection:
Hello everyone! It is me again. Welcome back to my
VBlog. In this VBlog, I interviewed Rosario Martinez, a teacher in her seventh
year. Throughout the interview, I asked Mrs. Martinez questions that had to do
with English Language Learners (ELL's) in her classroom. Many of the answers
provided by Mrs. Martinez can be connected to scholars’ research. One of the questions
I asked Mrs. Martinez was, “Do you enjoy working with ELL students?” Mrs.
Martinez’s answer to this was that she felt that she was able to make a strong connection
given her similar background as an English Language Learner herself. To help
the students feel more comfortable in the classroom, Mrs. Martinez would,
outside of content time, speak in Spanish with her students. This is what
Wright (2015) would call “Teacher as agent of socialization,” a teacher that respects
and uses a student’s home language to help ease the transition towards social
interactions outside of the home (p. 29). This practice is necessary for students
to have in order to develop their social skills that will be used later on in
working other students in small groups.
Another part of the interview that I really connected
with was having to do with the dual language program that is available at Mrs.
Martinez’s school. As a parent who has a daughter in a dual language program, I
was very interested to what Mrs. Martinez had to say on this matter. Mrs. Martinez
describes how her school is shifting away from the bi-lingual program towards
becoming a complete dual language program. This will allow the students that are
starting in dual language to continue to receive instruction in dual language throughout
their elementary schooling. This program is designed for both native English and
non-native English speakers to receive instruction in both languages to develop
bilingualism and biliteracy to ensure academic achievement in both languages
(Wright, 2015. p. 100). As an ELL myself I have spent the last few years trying
to regain what I have lost in my Spanish speaking ability. I placed my daughter
in the dual language program with the hope that she can learn more than I can
teacher. This way, she can teach me something new and we can practice with each
other every day.
Wright, Wayne. Foundations for Teaching
English Language Learners: Research, Theory, Policy, and Practice. Philadelphia,
PA: Caslon, 2015. Print. Second Edition.
I enjoyed listening to your interview. I enjoyed hearing Rosarios journey as a teacher of ELL students. I enjoyed the part where she is able to connect with ELL students due to her background and experience as an ELL student. In the interview Rosario talks about using different concepts and strategies to connect with the students. According to Wright (2015),” this would be considered cooperative learning. Cooperative learning refers to collaboration in pairs or in small groups to solve a problem, complete a task, or complete a project” (p.170). This is an effective method to use for ELL students, it can help them make connection with language and content area. I like how Rosario’s school is doing a dual language program in the hopes to help students learn two languages. It sounds as if the school is wanting to help all students add second language to their language development. Thank you for sharing Rosario's story.
ReplyDeleteWright, Wayne. Foundations for Teaching English Language Learners: Research, Theory, Policy, and Practice. Philadelphia, PA: Caslon, 2015. Print. Second Edition.
Hi Adrene! Thank you for visiting my VBlog and commenting. I know what exactly what you are talking about the part where Mrs. Martinez describes her connections to her ELL students. I think this is something we all need to learn as future educators. Wright (2015) states that, “students must receive comprehensible input, and much of that input comes from listening in the context of meaningful interactions” (p. 165). When Mrs. Martinez uses non-instructional time to connect with her students through a language they are familiar with, the students are more likely to be open to the instruction that follows.
ReplyDeleteWright, Wayne. Foundations for Teaching English Language Learners: Research, Theory, Policy, and Practice. Philadelphia, PA: Caslon, 2015. Print. Second Edition.
I personally observed a lot of bilingual schools where students struggle to speak English. However, there half-day classes between the two languages were very difficult to manage. Time-wise, teachers could potentially lose track of time and the students would end up spending more time in a Spanish class. On the other hand, participating in a dual language program can be beneficial to students of different backgrounds. Dual language programs promote learning more than one language at a time while still learning new content (Wright, 2015, p.100). Students could be native or non-native English speakers. The idea is to increase bilingualism within the student body.
ReplyDeleteHello Kimberly, thank you for visiting my VBlog and leaving a comment. Yes, the dual language definitely has a great many benefits for English Language Learners. The way that I see dual language is a way to ease students into the English language without overloading them with to much information or rules. A strategy that would help ELL students is wait time. Wait time is described as a period after a question is give that allow the student time to process information, translate in their minds, and figuring out how they wish to respond (Wright, 2015. p. 156). Wait time is a crucial strategy that we as future educators should understand.
DeleteWright, Wayne. Foundations for Teaching English Language Learners: Research, Theory, Policy, and Practice. Philadelphia, PA: Caslon, 2015. Print. Second Edition.
Hi Eddy! I liked how Mrs. Martinez mentions her school is transitioning to a dual language program. I appreciate how their version of the program has reading in both Spanish and English improving both of their languages. I also liked how Mrs. Martinez acknowledges the downfalls of high stakes testing through NCLB. Title III of NCLB has "serious consequences for districts that fail to make AYP related to ELLs' progress and attainment of ELP" which is why teachers quit from the high standards NCLB set for them (Wright, 2015, p. 75). I enjoyed how passionate Mrs. Martinez was about hearing every student speak and finding ways for them to do so.
ReplyDeleteWright, W. (2015). Foundations for Teaching English Language Learners: Research, Theory, Policy, and Practice. Philadelphia: Caslon. Print. Second Edition.
Hello Veronica, thank you for visiting my VBlog and leaving a comment. Mrs. Martinez if very passionate. She makes it her mission to get every student involved in the classwork, activities, or lessons. Due to the similar background that Mrs. Martinez has with the students, she is able to change gain the students trust and attention. This connects to what Wright (2015) suggest is the “Language-as-Resource Orientation” (p. 2).
DeleteWright, W. (2015). Foundations for Teaching English Language Learners: Research, Theory, Policy, and Practice. Philadelphia: Caslon. Print. Second Edition.
Hello Eddy! Great Interview! I also felt a connection to Mrs. Martinez and the dual language program at her school. I am curious as to what school district Mrs. Martinez works in and why they are switching from those transitional programs? Wright discusses that the many purpose of dual language programs and as you mentioned the main purpose of the program is to develop bilingual and biliterate students but to also develop “academic achievement in two languages, and cross-cultural understanding (Wright, 2010, p.100). I find it interesting that both my interviewee and yours agree on the benefits of the dual language program. I personally favor this program and the 50/50 model because despite the criticism, I believe that it still creates that language background for students to further develop as they get older. As a parent of a student in the dual language program do you see any downfalls?
ReplyDeleteHi Alexis, thank you for visiting my VBlog and leaving a comment. I would have to say that when comparing programs, dual language and developmental bilingual education are two programs that will have more students’ success. Wright (2015) provides the reader with a table that show how each program works in chapter 5 (pg. 96-704). Mrs. Martinez works in HISD. I am unclear as to why the school is making the switch myself. I am going to have to ask her the next time I see her. As a parent, the only downfall that I see is me being able to continuously support my child at home in both languages. My primary language shifted many years ago from Spanish to English, and English is now my dominant language. Other than this, I do not really see another problem for this program.
DeleteWright, W. (2015). Foundations for Teaching English Language Learners: Research, Theory, Policy, and Practice. Philadelphia: Caslon. Print. Second Edition.
Great interview and reflection Eddy. I want to interview teachers working in dual language programs. They seem to be so interesting and to help students achieve great academic goals.
ReplyDeleteThank you Dr. Avellaneda for commenting on my VBlog. It was a very interesting interview with Mrs. Martinez. When I asked her for an interview, She got really excited and was ready to go. I do feel that teachers in dual language programs are geared towards doing their best to ensure that their students succeed.
Delete