Blog Entry # 4: Reflection
This course has taught me that students learning a second language must
have the support within the classroom to ensure that content, regardless of
language, is accessible to all students. Knowing and understanding that an ELL
student can come from any multitude of backgrounds and have different levels of
understandings and needs, I can begin to learn how to reach each one. It is the
educators job to teach the next generation how to work together to solve social
issues related to diversity in which their previous generations did not
(Wright, 2015. p. 21). Educators can make it so that ELL students do not
struggle as much in their learning process by understanding ELL students.
Before this class I may have said that I could have
taught ELL student without any problems. However, from what I have learned in
this course, read in the text, and seen in the videos, I would have been way
over my head without the right strategies to support me and my ELL students. I understand
that learning a second or additional language is a difficult thing to do, but
educators can create learning environments that cater to ELL students. One thing
I want to do in my classroom is promote bilingualism on the individual and
societal levels. I want to create an environment where students can feel safe
in talking to one another in the language that they are most comfortable with. I
want to work with the class to show each student that people with a different
language should be excepted and not dismissed or shamed. Another shift in my
thinking is understanding the variety of programs available for students acquiring
a second language. It is not only students learning English as a second language.
For example, Wright discusses the bilingual immersion program that specifically
targets English speaker who want to learn a second language (2015. p. 103). There
are programs that are geared towards native English speakers learning Spanish, Vietnamese,
mandarin, or any other language as their second language.
I am taking away a
great deal of information from this course that will be able to help me in my
professional career. First, I know I will try to apply to districts that
provide students with dual language, developmental bilingual education, or
Heritage language type of programs. I know that I will not be pushing any
programs such as submersion, AKA “sink or swim” style programs. Wright describes
this program as dumping a student into the mainstream classroom without any
support or assistance at all (2015. p. 111). One strategy I will implement is the
natural approach strategy in my classroom. According to Wright (2015), the
natural approach pushes for comprehensible input so that ELL students can learn
the language and learn how to naturally structure the language (p. 61). Through
this approach I can utilize a variety of techniques that will help ELL student learn
how to naturally comprehend the content input that I will give. Spending time
in my placement school and learning what I have from this course, I feel that I
should work towards getting an ESL supplement certification. I can learn much
more going through the process that I can ensure that I will be able to make
each of my ELL students successful. However, regardless of having the certification,
I will be serving those students in my classroom as some point or another, so I
should be prepared.
PowerPoint's helped synthesize
the information from the textbook. These made for an excellent study guide and quick
review of the chapter that we covered. Having a professor that responded so
quickly and was so accessible was tremendously critical for my success in the
class. Here is an example of what kind of contact teachers should have with
their stakeholders (students, parents, etc). Content wise, all material and assignments
were helpful in exposing me to the realities and ideas that will help me in the
classroom. I would take nothing away from the course. However, one thing that occurred
to me as I worked on several assignments is how to support students who are ELL
students but who may also have other special needs such as special education.
How do teachers effectively ensure they are not over labeling ELLs as needing special
needs while at the same time ensuring that students who do in fact have special
needs are not left behind? Maybe a few videos regarding this can be made
available.
The only area of this course that needs improvement is the organization
of the blackboard files. However, this has begun to shift and become more
organized as the weeks go by, so it may be that this is being taken care of.
I have always considered diversity and the importance of
promoting a positive environment that celebrates diversity in my classroom. However,
I used to focus on diversity as racial diversity, economic diversity, and ethnic
diversity. The idea of language as part of a person’s identity and an essential
part of diversity is being added to my personal philosophy for teaching. I understand
that great educators never stop learning and this is what I intend to do for
myself and my students.
Wright, Wayne. (2015). Foundations for Teaching English Language Learners: Research, Theory, Policy, and Practice (2nd ed.). Philadelphia, PA: Caslon.
Hello Eddy,
ReplyDeleteThank you for sharing your journey through this class. This class has helped me as well. I have learned that ELL students need multiply ways of support that will help them in learning English. Some of the ways educators can give support to ELLs is in, content-are, social, and primary language support. Giving ELLs the support, they need also helps them as they adjust from knowing one language to adding a second language. According to Wright 2015, “if bilingual education cannot be provided, children still should have the right to attend a school that shows respect for their home language and encourages its use” (p.295). I have learned many new strategies that I will be able to take with me to help my future students.
Wright, Wayne. (2015). Foundations for Teaching English Language Learners: Research, Theory, Policy, and Practice (2nd ed.). Philadelphia, PA: Caslon.
DeleteHi Adrene,
Thank you for visiting my VBlog and leaving a comment. I know what you mean. This course has been extremely busy and very informative. I also agree with your comment that by giving the proper support, ELL student can add a second language. When a student adds a second language to their home language it is called additive bilingualism (Wright, 2015. p. 21). Another strategy that your comment reminds me about is having a language-as-a-resource. This strategy has many benefits if it is used. The teacher can help ELL make deeper meaning connections to the content.
Wright, Wayne. (2015). Foundations for Teaching English Language Learners: Research, Theory, Policy, and Practice(2nded.). Philadelphia, PA: Caslon.
Hello Adrene! I agree that ELLs need multiple ways of support. ELLs come from many different cultures and backgrounds and each require different means of accommodation. "Teachers need to tailor instruction to the unique language and academic needs of each student, that is they need to provide differentiated instruction (Wright, 2015, p. 265). This way, each support you are giving the students is differentiated to their needs.
DeleteWright, Wayne. Foundations for Teaching English Language Learners: Research, Theory, Policy, and Practice. Philadelphia, PA: Caslon, 2015. Print. Second Edition.
As an ELL student, the biggest struggle is communication. In order for them to learn content English, they have to be able to speak and listen. According to Wright (2015), listening is an active skill that requires ELL students to understand what they hear and reflect on that (p.150). Without this skill, they cannot move forward or learn anything in English. It is a big struggle to overcome alone, so the teacher must step in and help where they are needed. It is also the responsibility of the teacher to be aware of the students’ background. Everyone has a different upbringing, so being aware of that characteristic can help the teacher when planning a lesson.
ReplyDeleteHello Kimberly,
DeleteThank you for visiting and leaving a comment on my VBlog. I completely agree that ELLs struggle with communication. Another idea for teachers to help ELL is by using the Primary language support strategy (PLS). According to Wright, the PLS uses the ELLs home language to support content and instruction (2015. p. 296). This strategy will allow teachers to instruct both ELL and non-ELL student without having to change the content. This strategy calls for teacher to make a small adjustment to make the instruction more understandable for ELL student.
Wright, Wayne. (2015). Foundations for Teaching English Language Learners: Research, Theory, Policy, and Practice(2nded.). Philadelphia, PA: Caslon.
Hello Kimberly! You are right, speaking and listening are important factors in ELLs being able to understand the content. A strategy to help them do so is productive talk moves. "Research found that careful scaffolding of classroom discussions was a key component of success" (Wright, 2015, p. 158). Some of these productive talk moves are revoicing, repeating, reasoning, adding on, and waiting. All of these will help ELLs process understand the content being discussed in class discussions easier.
DeleteWright, Wayne. Foundations for Teaching English Language Learners: Research, Theory, Policy, and Practice. Philadelphia, PA: Caslon, 2015. Print. Second Edition.
Hello Eddy! Thank you for sharing your reflection. I agree with you that as future educators, we have to make a difference in the students’ learning. What we need to do as future educators such as getting background information on the student and reaching out and learning more about them. A tool that I would like to implement in my classroom is the students having their own personal word books. According to Wright, “Typically the book are preprinted with high-frequency words and other words students commonly ask for when they write. But the word books include space under each letter section for students to record their own words as they progress through the school year” (2015, pg. 246). With some adjustments from the actual personal word books, I think I will have the students write the words that they personally need to write for themselves, so the book is more personally made for them that they could refer to anytime when they need it. Good luck with your classes!
ReplyDeleteWright, Wayne. Foundations for Teaching English Language Learners: Research, Theory, Policy, and Practice. Philadelphia, PA: Caslon, 2015. Print. Second Edition.
Hello Katherine! I agree with you that as future educators we need to get background information on the students to learn more about them. “Information about the student’s ethnicity and culture may help explain some of the student’s behaviors in class and suggests things the teacher can do to be sensitive to his or her culture and incorporate aspects of that culture into the classroom” (Wright, 2015, p. 24). This is why obtaining that information on the students is so important so we can better help them.
DeleteWright, Wayne. Foundations for Teaching English Language Learners: Research, Theory, Policy, and Practice. Philadelphia, PA: Caslon, 2015. Print. Second Edition.
Hello Katherine,
DeleteThank you for visiting my VBlog and leaving a comment. Yes, you are completely correct. Since there are many different types of ELL students that come into the classroom at any given time, finding as much information as possible will aid in the students’ success. I also understand what you mean about the students having their own wordbooks. I could see that this may be useful, however, I still would consider the word wall. This display of words can be on an entire wall big enough for all the student to see from their desk (Wright, 2015. p. 244). The reason I would choose this over wordbooks is because in my own observation I have noticed that when students are in charge of carry a book for class, it is lost, either at home or in their backpacks.
Wright, Wayne. (2015). Foundations for Teaching English Language Learners: Research, Theory, Policy, and Practice(2nded.). Philadelphia, PA: Caslon.
Hello Eddy,
DeleteYou brought up a useful and wonderful point that I did not think about when students have to keep up with their wordbooks on their own. I believe I would still want the wordbooks, in addition to the word wall in the classroom. Another resource that I would like to use is mini-lessons because this allows the teacher to work with students to accomplish what they need help with. “Mini-lessons are an important source of scaffolding and instructional support for ELL writers and a critical component of Writer’s Workshops” (Wright, 2015, pg. 247). This could be used for all subjects around.
Wright, Wayne. Foundations for Teaching English Language Learners: Research, Theory, Policy, and Practice. Philadelphia, PA: Caslon, 2015. Print. Second Edition.
Hi Eddy! I do agree that it is very important for the educators to make the learning process for students as easy as possible. We as educators are the foundation for any student learning in class especially for those who are learning a second language. Where would they even begin to understand certain materials if they do not have someone teaching it in a way they understand. We also need to realize that each student is different in the way they learn and accustom to their new surroundings. According to the text, “a serious flaw in the melting pot metaphor is that some immigrants, especially people of color, do not ‘melt” into the whole as easily as others” (Wright, 2015, p. 19). I felt the exact same way thinking that I already knew what to expect from students learning a second language but I was very wrong. There is so much put in to what the student needs to learning a language successfully.
ReplyDeleteHello Elizabeth! I agree that each student is different in the way they learn and accustom to their new surroundings. “All students differ in terms of prior knowledge, academic proficiency, learning styles, and sociocultural background” (Wright, 2015, p. 264). This is important to keep in mind so we are not just using one strategy to help all of the students. Since they are all different we need to use differentiated instruction to accommodate all of their learning needs.
DeleteWright, Wayne. Foundations for Teaching English Language Learners: Research, Theory, Policy, and Practice. Philadelphia, PA: Caslon, 2015. Print. Second Edition.
DeleteHello Elizabeth, thank you for visting my VBlog and leaving a message. Yes, if we do our best in keeping the stress level down for ELL and non-ELL student, content lessons would be more understood. This is extremely important when providing students with Primary Language Support (PLS). When PLS is provided the students, affective filter is lowered. When the affective filter is lowered the student attain more comprehensible information from the instructions (Wright, 2015. p. 296). This helps both the students and teachers stay calm and open to the flow of information.
Wright, Wayne. (2015). Foundations for Teaching English Language Learners: Research, Theory, Policy, and Practice(2nded.). Philadelphia, PA: Caslon.
Hey Tori! That is why it is so important to conduct assessments for all students when figuring out how much they know or do not know. But teachers need to aware of how much testing is too much testing for the students. “Educators need to be aware of the heavy testing burden placed on ELLs and the impact test results can have on students’ and teachers’ lives” (Wright, 2015, p. 119). It is funny how at first everything in the text seems so different from one another but as the semester went we say how everything ties in together.
ReplyDeleteHey Eddy! We can only understand so much of what is going on in a students’ mind when they are learning a new language. Not only is the stress on the teachers and students, but also the parents! I think that we need to show and involve the parents more so that there can be a happy environment at home and at school for the students. “Many effective teachers send home monthly or weekly letters to parents describing what students are leaning in class, suggesting ways parents can help, and reporting other classroom news” (Wright, 2015, p. 305).
ReplyDelete